Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Double Pole switch???

On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 11:40:54 -0400, Goedjn wrote:

On Sun, 25 Mar 2007 14:38:57 -0400, "Joseph Meehan"
wrote:

J.C. wrote:
I bought a Double pole switch. Why, I don't know. I looked in my
trusty electrical handbook and my copy of the 2007 NESC handbook (to
most wasted $65.00 I've ever spent) and nowhere is there a reference
to a "Double Pole Switch". So, what is a "Double Pole Switch" and
what is it used for.
I've used many a single pole switch and a number of 3 way switches in
my time but this one's got me a bit baffled.

Well, a double-pull double-pole switch can be used as a crossover
switch in the middle of a multi-switch run.

I used a little DPDT slide switch with my analog VOM, voltmeter, to
reverse the test leads. Made it very quick on the ohmmeter setting to
test diodes in both directions, to test capacitors by watching them
charge then discharge and charge again. Didn't do this until after
ran out of regular probe wire and was using speaker wire for my test
probes.

I put a blob of silicone sealant over the solder connections so I
wouldn't zap myself. 25 years, still fine.

A single-pull
double-pole switch is used to turn off two things simultaneously,
or both legs of a 240V branch.

--Goedjn