Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Joachim Wunder Joachim Wunder is offline

Default PCB of garage door opener failed: Which PIC is this?

Hi Franc et al,

first of all my apologies for not being able to reply any earlier to
this thread with an update. My deepest apologies. Meanwhile I got a
spare PCB for the garage door opener which has no need for any
piggyback PCB any longer. Thanks God! The 8748 of the old PCB is still
alive as well. I was able to access its EPROM contents. Sorry that it
took me so long, but getting access to an 8748 adapter for my old ISA
EPROM programming card was a real challenge to me. But thatīs another
story...

Anyway, the new PCB looks very similar to the old one:

front side of the new PCB:
http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/1120/cimg0131kd8.jpg

back side of the new PCB:
http://img68.imageshack.us/img68/4202/cimg0128ms3.jpg

Franc, you already were so kind as to start to track down the logics
of the 16-pin IC a couple of time ago (see text below). I am still
stuck in finding out the exact type of this logic IC. And, believe me,
I have already looked up hundreds of different datasheets at
www.datasheetarchive.com. Hmpf. The manufacturer of the PCB is still
not able (or should I better say willing...) to reveal the exact type
of this IC. But they told me that itīs definitely no PAL. What is
known to me is the following pin assignment:

Pin 1: Output, controls the basis of the transistor which in turn
controls GND of relay no. 3
Pin 2: Output, controls the basis of the transistor which in turn
controls GND of relay no. 2
Pin 3: Output, controls the basis of the transistor which in turn
controls GND of relay no. 1
Pin 4: Output, controls GND pin of the LED
Pin 5: NC
Pin 6: NC
Pin 7: NC
Pin 8: GND
Pin 9: NC
Pin 10: Input, connected to pin DB2 of 8748 ĩC
Pin 11: Input, connected to pin DB1 of 8748 ĩC
Pin 12: Input, connected to pin DB0 of 8748 ĩC
Pin 13: ?
Pin 14: ?
Pin 15: connected to GND
Pin 16: V_cc (+5V)

I hope you, Franc, and/or anyone else here has a good idea of which
logic IC this might be?

Thank you so much in advance.
Joachim

On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 20:37:47 +1100, Franc Zabkar
wrote:

On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 01:03:22 +0100, Joachim Wunder
put finger to keyboard and composed:

On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 10:27:49 +1100, Franc Zabkar
wrote:

On Fri, 09 Feb 2007 13:37:10 +0100, Joachim Wunder
put finger to keyboard and composed:

might the 16-pin IC a I2C maybe? If so, which
ones were commonly used to control an Intel 8748/8749 ?

I just uploaded seperate larger pics of the front and back side of the
PCB:

front side:
http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/3231/cimg0083kj3.jpg

back side:
http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/1555/cimg0084qg6.jpg

I am sorry to not have done that any earlier. On weekends I now have a
little more time to take better pics and start any systematical
diagnostic tests.

There appear to be 8 or so interconnect pins at the RHS of the 16-pin
IC. Can you trace them to the uC's pins? Do they go to the data bus,
ie pins 12 through 19?

As far as I can see Pins 12, 13 and 14 of the microcontroller are
connected to the interconnect pins at the RHS of the 16-pin IC.

Which pins are power and ground?

Pin 8 is V_SS (GND) and Pin 16 is V_DD (+5V) as far as I measured on
the 16-pin IC.

What is the IC
to the right of the relays?

Thatīs a PHILIPS CNY17-4 Optocoupler.

Which chip/component drives the relay
coils?

Thatīs actually a BC237B transistor each. They are hidden below the
piggyback PCB, unfortunately.

- Franc Zabkar

Thanks
Joachim

AFAICT, the 16-pin IC, if the piggyback PCB faithfully mimics the
pinout, has at least three outputs at pins 1,2,3, each of which drives
the base of a relay driver transistor. Each pin has a pullup resistor
to Vcc, so I suspect that the outputs may be open collector.

Since pins 10,11,12,13 of the IC are connected to the uC's data bus, I
suspect that they may be inputs. If so, then I believe that these
inputs would need to be latched. The fact that there is a "VOH" on the
body of the chip suggests that it might be programmed, in which case
it could be a PAL.

- Franc Zabkar