Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Fish Tank Design - any good?

Dan White wrote:

Hi all. I haven't posted here in awhile. I was thinking of making a tank
stand for a 75 gallon fish tank, which will weigh well over 700 lbs. What
do you think of this design? Are there any major problems with what this
guy has done?

http://www.arbreptiles.com/cages/75g_stand/index.shtml

Thanks for any suggestions,
dwhite

No problems, but I think it's overkill. So far I've built two stand,one for a
29 gallon out of nothing but 3/4" plywood, and one for a 40 gallon out of
standard 4/4 hardwood.

Most hardwoods are quite strong in compression. Even for a 75 gallon I
suspect 2x4s and 4x4s are overkill. I'd build with 4/4 making sure I had at
least two internal vertical dividers for a tank that size. I used one
vertical divider for my 40 gallon.

Check some values for the strength of the wood you're planning to use.

--
It's turtles, all the way down