Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Wisnia Jeff Wisnia is offline

Default Car battery question

Mitch wrote:
I went to start my Explorer the other day, and the battery was dead
from sitting so long.

I put a battery charger on it, but I'm not getting anything...zero
amps on the charger.

I've sanded all the corrosion from both contact points, down to shiny
bare metal...still nothing.

I also have a battery tender, so I put that on. It has an LED to
indicate charging...it's not lit.

Does this mean the battery is done for?

Are you by chance not connecting the charger directly to the battery
terminals, but perhaps through another path like plugging it into a
cigarette lighter socket?

If so, then look for a blown fuse in the cigarette lighter feed.

If you ARE connecting directly to the battery's terminals and it's still
not drawing any current from the charger, then chances are good that one
of the internal straps connecting the cells in series has snapped loose,
i.e. the battery is junque. A battery which isn't broken but just won't
"hold a charge" will draw SOME current from a charger.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)