Posted to alt.home.repair
Speedy Jim Speedy Jim is offline

Default 3 dif. plumbers want $350 for single-lever wash. mach. valveinstall

Brian V wrote:

"jay-n-123" wrote in message

This is a follow up to the recent thread. I live in Northern NJ. So far,
3 different plumbers I talked to all quoted the same exact price of $350
to replace existing crank-style washing machine valves with a Watts single
lever valve. Hard to believe this costs so much, since somebody here
said it is only going to take an hour to do and the part only cost $33 or
less and little bit of extra copper piping needed can't cost that much.
I suppose I could get a handyman to do this for a lot less but then this
person wouldn't be a licensed plumber....is it worth trying to save a
couple hundred by not using a licensed plumber?

The way I want it installed (described in next paragraph) doesn't involve
cutting into drywall. Just want to confirm this doesn't go against any
codes:

At some point (who knows when) somebody installed a single-handle watts
valve in my mom's unit. I'm looking to have mine done the same way since
no drywall work is involved. There are two eschuteons (sic?) against the
wall with about 3/4" exposed pipe sticking out. At my Mom's condo, it
looks like they removed the old valves and then added downward elbows and
then two sideward elbows and two small sections of horizontal pipe leading
from the sideward elbows which into the watts valve from the sides. Only
difference in her condo is that the pipes sticking out of the wall are 5
1/2" inches a part vs. mine being 9", so that would mean that mine would
simply need more horizontal pipe. One of my pipes coming out of the wall
is around an inch higher than the other, but the same was true for my moms
so I guess this isn't going to be problematic.

There is nothing about that is goes against any codes, right?

Thanks,

Jay

Without question they will need to cut in to the drywall. 3/4" comming
out of the wall is no where close to what is needed. They have no way to
solder on the new fittings. They also need to be concerned with the paper
backing on the drywall catching fire when they are soldering. What may look
easy to you "could" be a lot more involved.
350, while it might sound steep is, at least around here (Boston), a
reasonable amount for a licensed plumber onsite. Rates here are 90-125+ per
hour. 50$ stock, 2-3hrs onsite, your right there.

Right on!

Also, there is one nasty word which everyone has
overlooked: "Condo".

The condo assoc may have strict rules about who
can do work.

In any event, the contractor working on a condo
property has to assume a *lot* of liability.
The guys who quoted this know that.

One last thought- Have you (OP) considered just
leaving the old valves in place and installing
armored hoses (high burst strength) instead of
rubber ones?

Jim