Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction,wpg.general
mm mm is offline

Default Can anybody explain what's happening?

On 26 Mar 2007 11:01:28 -0700, "RicodJour"
wrote:

On Mar 26, 1:39 pm, mm wrote:
On 26 Mar 2007 09:00:34 -0700, "RicodJour" wrote:

The Ice & Water Shield membrane (or approved equal - would somebody
kindly offer up a generic term so I don't have to keep writing "or
approved equal"? Thanks!) should extend from the edge of the roof up
to about 3' inside the line of the exterior wall. The ice damming
problem is usually due to heat from the house interior. Just dealing
with the roof overhang portion won't solve the problem.

Why do so many here point to this, when I thought the OP only had
gutters changed? A real question.

I thought the OP's first sentence was clear, and from the picture I
don't think the gutters...sorry...eavestroughs! is responsible for all
of that. Here's what she wrote:

On Mar 25, 11:39 pm, Melanie wrote:
Just had new roof, eavestroughs with flashing installed last spring.
This year we have these wet streaks running down one side of the house
(see pic herehttp://img261.imageshack.us/my.php?image=1898931qq3.jpg).

You may have read it as "roof eavestroughs" - with the comma being a
typo, but in that case the word roof is entirely superfluous as they
can be nowhere else. It would be akin to saying "my bathroom
toilet" (please note, I am aware that the British have loos - toilets
in rooms without baths - but they're on the other side of the pond and
like being difficult anyway, so let's just ignore them, okay?). I

Okay.

I did misunderstand. My bad. Thanks.

think she simply left out an "and" - roof and eavestroughs.

I guess only the OP knows for sure, but the word "flashing" would
require shingle work on an existing roof to install the flashing
correctly. In any event, there's definitely more messed up than just
the gutters.