Posted to alt.home.repair
z z is offline

Default Dehumidifiers: Which one is Decent?

On Mar 26, 11:44 am, "Art" wrote:
The late model Kenmores are truely junk. They last about 1 year and now
only have a 1 year guarantee instead of 5 years on the refrigeration
portion. Mine has been replace or fixed every year. I am getting tired of
hauling it back (it is broken again) and will try a different brand, like
you. But all seem to have 1 year warranties now so I suspect all are junk.

"Greg" wrote in message

I'm looking to buy a dehumidifier, 50-75 pints, for my basement. What
is a good model to buy? I want to be able to connect a hose easily,
have reasonable energy consumption, and be reasonably quiet. I also
need a low temperature model, since the temperature may fall below 65,
and that causes icing in some models.

I used to have a Sears Kenmore unit (made by LG) that had a digital
display. The first unit never shut off despite the actual humidity
level was much less than whatever I set it to. The second unit would
occasionally overflow and cycled, but cycles were extremely short. Both
machines had an extremely annoying hose connection and I ended up only
using the bucket.

Lowes carries models by Whirlpool. The reviews I've seen online
mentioned that that they are very loud and don't have a good hose
connection feature. Also the bucket size is much smaller than the Sears
Kenmore unit I had.

Anybody have any luck with buying a good dehumidifier recently? I don't
need it right away so I have time to shop around but would like it
before the hot weather comes.

Thanks!- Hide quoted text -

What a coincidence; my Kenmore 70 pint Dehumidifier w/Electronic Touch
Controls Mfr. Model #: 54701 low temperature dehumidifier started
getting the compressor so hot the paint on it is blistering and I
could smell it. bought sept. 2004, $200. 1 year warranty.... but 5
years on the sealed refrigeration system, so I figure, hooray. took it
in to the sears, they say there's a $29 nonrefundable service fee; if
it is the compressor, they'll "probably" just give me a new
dehumidifier, but I won't get the $29 back. Boy, that's some warranty.