Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default cutting into cast iron waste stack

On 26 Mar 2007 09:27:17 -0700, wrote:

Hi everyone. Thanks for all the replies.
I'm happy to report that the work is done. Plumber braced the pipe
with masonry anchors and strapping (stack runs vertical up against
masonry wall -- no studs in basement). Pipe never moved a hair. PVC
and neoprene gaskets with clamps now in place. He was more than happy
to brace it for me -- although he told me once again it wouldn't have
moved at all even without the bracing (because he believes it is
braced properly on every level -- plus it has 3 horizontal wyes (1 for
sink, 1 for toilet, 1 for tub) that are braced against/in floor
joists. I'll keep an eye out for leaks -- but everything seems OK.

*whew!*

Wow, it's only 12:30 on the east coast. Glad things worked out.