Posted to alt.home.repair
Marilyn & Bob Marilyn & Bob is offline

Default What's the best way to replace a tub faucet?

"Joe" wrote in message
oups.com...

Just to keep everyone updated I spent a couple of hours on it today.
Right off the bat I found an even greater problem - none of my hot
water valves from the furnace to the first floor bathroom actually
work so I had to turn off the main and even after I turned off the
main the water still wouldn't stop so it looks like I'll have to get a
plumber it to fix that. I can't believe my inspector never checked any
of these valves when I brought him in before I bought the house.

Anyway, the amount of water left streaming out wasn't too bad and it
all ended up in the tub so I got to dismantling the faucet. The
hardest part was getting the 50 year old handle off the stem. I had to
bang it pretty hard with a vice grip wrapped in a towel because the
rubber mallet just wasn't cutting it. Once I got the handle off the
rest of the stem came out pretty easily. The main problem I've been
having has been the cold water but I noticed recently that the drip
was getting warmer so I thought I'd inspect the hot water stem first.
The washer was decimated. I pryed it out with an ice pick and replaced
it. Then I got to the cold water stem. Inspecting the seat I could see
tiny imperfections in the metal so I screwed on my seat repair kit and
turned it about 3 times and replaced the stem. After turning the water
back on I noticed there was a big improvement but still a small drip -
and the water was warm. Since it was Sunday and the plumbing shop was
closed I figured that the stem from the hot water was probably shot so
I switch that stem with the new one in the cold and now the drip is
ck,d so I know I just need to purchase a new $25 stem and the problem
should be solved, if not I think I'll try the reseating tool again.
thanks again to all, it feels good to do this on my own!

Thanks for the update. For the future, you should know that there is a tool
designed to pull off a stuck handle, called surprisingly enough, a "Handle
Puller". A central threaded rod, surrounded by two l-shipped holders. Put
the holders under the handle and the rod in the screw hole in the center of
the faucet stem and twist the threaded rod until the handle comes off.
About $10.
--
Peace,
BobJ