Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] bigjim@backpacker.com is offline

Default Wrong brick being replaced on brand-new home...

On Mar 26, 5:21 am, "3G" wrote:
"HammerBammer" wrote in message

oups.com...
| On Mar 25, 9:37 pm, wrote:
| On Mar 25, 10:10 pm, "Mike Holmes" wrote:
|

| the vapor wrap will be destroyed, rendered useless by debricking.
| consider altering your color choices as long as the brick is of a
type
| and quality consistent with your alternate lifestyle.
|
| On Mar 25, 10:01 pm, wrote:
|
| Hello,
|
| We bought a brand new home which is being built as I write. The
front
| of our house is about 1/2 brick and the rest is siding.
|
| Long story short -- they put the completely wrong color brick on
the
| front, which I noticed after I swung by a few days later (the
job was
| already done). Now they are going to tear down the brick and
put the
| correct one up.
|
| My question is this -- how do I make sure that they tear it down
| carefully, prep the surface correctly again and put the new
brick up
| correctly? I don't know what to look for or what to ask the job
| foreman about in order to make sure we don't have any brick
detaching
| or water damage in the future. Do they have to rip off the old
| flashing? Will there be possible damage to the house wrap (the
house
| is wrapped all around). Can they accidentally punch holes
through the
| plywood? I don't even know what else could go wrong or what to
watch
| out for.
|
| Thanks for any replies!!!- Hide quoted text -

| What do you mean by color choices? Altering the color of the
brick?-

| Do you always complain when someone gives you a free gift. You got
| the front of the house bricked for free. I dont think any type or
| color of brick could look all that bad.

* stop thinking...............it can look that bad

If you talk it over with
| them, they will likely give you the present brick job for free, just
| to not have to replace it.

*are you kiddin me................free

After all, it will cost them the loss of
| all these bricks and the labor, PLUS the labor to remove them and then
| the cost for the new bricks and labor.

*bricks can be re-sold and re-used
no loss except contractors labor.

Tell them you'll accept what
| is there now as long as you are not charged.

*where the heck were you raised?
in the wilderness

| On the other hand, you might be a perfectionist and unless you get the
| exact stuff you ordered,

*and why shouldn't the OP get what they ordered?

you will have a massive coronary or a
| stroke. In that case have them tear the whole house down and start
| over. Yes, there will be damage from removing the bricks,
| particularly the house wrap.

*and why would the housewrap be damaged?
from removing brick ties?
there is an air space between the wall and bricks.

| Next time hire some professional builders that know how to read
| blueprints. It sounds like you got some backwoods redneck cooters
| doing the job for you.

*not many builders do masonry work
hire a competant mason.
not to say that the OP's contractor isn't competant
it could have been a common mistake in color order.
one digit in a number code can change the order color.