Posted to alt.home.repair
Eigenvector Eigenvector is offline

Default cutting into cast iron waste stack

wrote in message
ups.com...
On Mar 26, 12:33 am, "Eigenvector" wrote:
"mm" wrote in message

On Sun, 25 Mar 2007 17:39:12 -0800, "Eigenvector"
wrote:

Why are you questioning a licenced and bonded plumber whom you have
done
business with and who has 40+ years experience? I'm not challenging
your
questioning of him, but rather I'm wondering what set this off. If
you've
trusted him before, why question him now? He is licensed and bonded
right??

I see your point, but although I trusted my father, I might want to
express concern before he attempted to shoot an apple off the top of
my head. And maybe even to know what his plan was.

I'm not so good at dealing with people. That's why I like DIY and why
I like stores like HD where there are no clerks insisting on helping
you. So I don't khow how to handle this, but it seems normal to be
worried about something that can do so much damage.

No no no, that wasn't really my question.

The original post was phrased in such a way as to suggest that this
person
has done business with this plumber and was totally satisfied, now for
some
reason he's questioning basic stuff.

If you read it, it's like
"Yeah so this guy has done business with me for 40 years, took a bayonet
for
me in Nam, saved my child from a burning wreck, and is my child's
godfather.
But I'm not sure, is it okay to use a plunger to unclog a toilet? That
seems dangerous to me. I'm not sure I trust him."

Seems like the "trust" part of the relationship has already been
established. Someone else commented about how its possible the plumber
simply didn't mention what he was going to do because it wasn't worthy of
mention.

I've only know this plumber for 4 months (that's how long I've been in
the house). He has replaced (2) toilets, some shower fixtures, and
helped me out of a jam (cutting brass nipples when replacing a faucet
= not good). He's BEEN a plumber for 40 years -- I haven't known him
that long. He's a reputable guy working for a reputable company. When
he quoted me the price to do the work a few weeks back ($900 -- the
company is perhaps the best-known in this city), I asked him
specifically "Will you need to brace it?" He said, "No -- not
necessary". He didn't elaborate other than to say as soon as he began
cutting he'd know if it was going to move -- and then he would brace
it. I'm assuming he thinks it is braced on every level -- which it
probably is because this house was built in 1930 by German Catholics
who really knew what the heck they were doing -- far better work than
you'd ever find today.

The reason I'm questioning him is because EVERYTHING I've read on the
subject says you must brace cast iron pipe before cutting into it.
Nothing I've read tells me whether or not it was common to brace it
during construction.

I've decided I am going to tell him for my own peace of mind to please
brace it permanently before cutting.

And that's really all I was asking. You have every right as a customer to
question how the job will be done, but at some level trust must enter the
equation. Trust that he knows his trade better than you is foremost.
You've already voiced considerable concern over the matter and asking you to
drop it all and just let it happen seems disingenuous. So how you're going
to handle it seems fair, but be warned you might not be on his favorite
customer list anymore because you've broken that trust factor. Eh, if it
saves you a disaster in the making, it'll be worth it and you wouldn't want
him as your plumber anyway.