Posted to rec.woodworking
charlieb charlieb is offline

Default How to drill dog holes

RayV wrote:

Glued on the last piece of my workbench top last night so as soon as I
mount the vises I will be ready to drill the 3/4 dog holes. Question
is how do I do this?

snip

Critical thing is that the holes are square to the top of the
bench.

I doubt I can get the top safely up on the drill press to make these
holes without building a giant contraption so I am going to have to do
it with a hand-held drill.

Will a block of wood with a 3/4 hole be enough of a jig?

Will a 3/4 saw-tooth Forstner bit be able to drill these holes?
(I don't have a 3/4 twist or brad point)

What about a hole-saw?

What should the spacing be?
(I should get at least 10" of travel on the tail vise)

Critical thing is that the holes are square to the top of the
bench. Hole in a block of wood as a guide would work.
Mark the center lines on both faces of each line so you
have them for referencing the hole guide to layout
lines for the round dogholes on the bench top - looks
nicer when a row of round holes all line up.

I'd skip the hole saw idea and go with the forstner.
CLEAR THE CHIPS OUT FREQUENTLY. Getting a stuck
forstner bit out of a deep hole is a REAL PAIN IN THE
ASS. And if you've got AllThread through the bench
top - mark the location. A 3/4" forstner bit WILL NOT
drill through 3/8ths or 1/2 inch AllThread - and it ain't
good for the bit at all. Also don't want a dog hole over
a banch leg/ pedestal - you may have to push a dog
out from below.

Even though your vise jaw has a 10" max capacity, the
top of the jaw may not be at bench top level out that far.
Not a problem if you've got something between the jaws.
But when you're clamping against a bench dog havng the
dog in the vise jaw low can be a problem.

Just some things to consider.

charlie b