Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,misc.consumers.house
The Henchman The Henchman is offline

Default Lawn Aeration vs letting the squirrels and birds do it

"Dave" wrote in message
reenews.net...

Nonetheless, some people persist in these behaviors, and it's not
unreasonable for them to seek advice on the most cost-effective way of
going
about them.

Which is exactly why I say don't do anything to your lawn but cut it.
Grass doesn't "DIE". If it's not as healthy as it could be, it kind of
hibernates for a while (turns brown, doesn't grow as fast). Give me a
brown lawn over a green one anyday. I have better things to do with my
time than mow the damned lawn, and I don't really care to spend so much
money on fuel to power the lawn tractor. The most un-frugal thing you can
do to a lawn is ANYTHING to help it be more healthy, such as watering,
aerating, fertilizing, tc. -Dave

Not to mention the increase in property value your home will have. A well
taken care of flower garden and manicured lawn will add about 30 to $50 000
to your asking price on a house in my neighborhood

People who don't take care of their lawns are burning money on their biggest
tangible asset if they own. If you are over the age of 50 your biggest
assest should be your retirement portfolio which means your house (mortgage
free) will be your second biggest asset and much more important to your
financial health. People over the age of 50 get more exspensive health
issues and you shouldn't borrow against your retirment portfolio to pay for
house so borrow against your house if the need arises. Wouldn't it be nice
to borrow against your house if it were worth more?? Take care of the lawn,
take care of your assests and get some exercise!!!

Not to mention the city and your neighbors will raise complaints if you
don't take care of your lawn. Your brown lawn will cost you money on your
property values and affect your next door neighbor's property value and will
affect the amount the city can charge you on property tax if they follow the
market assessment way of taxation.