Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
Lawrence Lawrence is offline

Default Another Fence Question

On Mar 23, 10:21 pm, mm wrote:
On 23 Mar 2007 17:59:10 -0700, "RicodJour"
wrote:

DominicSantini wrote:
"Michael Bulatovich" wrote in message
Any thoughts / opinions from those with experience on
a fence project ?

my bad, thanks to all those who have replied so far.

the property is in Ocean County, NJ.

i'm not sure how to classify the soil. it supports a
lawn of kentucky blue grass.

the fence plan is for nothing fancy (just plain old
cedar or vinyl panels). in other words, no wrought iron
fencing (incompatible w/the privacy barrier function).

to the other poster, no, the one contractor went out
of his way to explain how he puts his posts 10' under
grade. so i think he'd be using a 16' piece of wood.
thinking it over, i agree that it's more marketing hype
than substance.

the other contractor (i don't have the quote in front
of me at the moment), but i believe he said 3' under
grade (depth of the post).

i just want to be better prepared to separate the
BS contractors from the ones with a legitimate plan
that will conform to solid engineering practices.

The 10' deep contractor - either you misunderstood the whole time he
was going out of his way to explain it to you, or he thought you were
_really_ stupid. The difference in strength/stability between a post
sunk 3' in the ground and one sunk 10' is on the order of 2%. There's
no benefit and a **** load more work.

Tell you what. Ask to visit one of his job sites so you can see them
dig a 10' deep fence post hole. Post pictures.*

I don't know much about fences, but I'd like to see the 16 foot fence
posts. Sound expensive.

16 ft 4x4's are available at any lumber yard.