Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Walking on a pitched roof

On Sun, 25 Mar 2007 20:23:35 -0400, Steve wrote:

On my street, I see roofing guys walking on these very pitched roofs,
almost seems like nothing to them. I try and I'm sliding. I can't do
it. I have a 2 story house, with a 1 story attached garage, and the
gutters are in a spot where the 1 story meets the 2nd story, and I would
like to get up and clean them.

I can't do it, I feel like I have no traction.

This might seem like a stupid question, but is it mental? I don't think
I'm afraid, as I do make the trip up there and try.

It is the shoes/boots?

CAn't answer your question, but...

The first time I spend time on my roof, which is less steep than the
ones they are talking about, I had to do very little walking, to put
in a roof fan. But while sitting there, I was so afraid of moving
and rolling over and off that after the hole was cut, I couldn't find
the fan. It turned out it was right behind me but I was too scared to
turn far enough to see it, in either direction. I thought I would have
to go down the ladder again to get it.

Even though the job involved no hard work, and not much light work,
the next day and for a couple days, I was sore all over, from the
constant tension of not moving.

Steve