Posted to alt.home.repair
Lawrence Lawrence is offline

Default Walking on a pitched roof

On Mar 25, 7:23 pm, Steve wrote:
On my street, I see roofing guys walking on these very pitched roofs,
almost seems like nothing to them. I try and I'm sliding. I can't do
it. I have a 2 story house, with a 1 story attached garage, and the
gutters are in a spot where the 1 story meets the 2nd story, and I would
like to get up and clean them.

I can't do it, I feel like I have no traction.

This might seem like a stupid question, but is it mental? I don't think
I'm afraid, as I do make the trip up there and try.

It is the shoes/boots?

Steve

LOL. It does matter what type of shoe you wear. On the crew I was on
basketball sneakers were preferred. Chuck Taylor high tops were the
favorite. I used a type of shoe that used climbing rubber for the
soles.

Technique is important also. It is similar in a way to downhill
skiing. In order to ski correctly your weight has to be directly over
your feet. The instinctive reaction is to lean up hill and this
result in slipping and falling. Yu have to actually have to point
your mass downhill to maximize the mass over the skis.

It's the same on the roof. If you are fearful you will lean uphill
which removes part of your weight from your feet and causes you to
slip. You actually have to lean downhill a bit to keep your weight
over your feet. It is a scary thing to do especially at first and you
have to be confident in your balance.

To lean downhill when you are up on the roof is what you have to do to
keep your weight over your feet. I was able to do it because of my
backround as a skiier so experience is the best teacher.

Sometimes a new guy on the crew will quit before the first day is
over. Occasionally we hired a guy who only will work on the ground.
Confidence is the main thing. You either have it or you get it or you
quit.