Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,misc.consumers.house

Default Lawn Aeration vs letting the squirrels and birds do it

On Mar 25, 7:55 am, "Dave" wrote:
wrote in message

ups.com...

The local squirrels are busy searching for the last of their acorn
stash and the Robins have returned to torment the worms. I'm thinking
this is enough action to keep the lawn aerated.

Ted Kaz

Why would you want to aerate the lawn anyway? I see so many posts asking
about fertilizing or watering or aerating or other ways to help the grass
grow faster, be greener, etc. NONE of these suggestions are frugal in any
manner.

Frugal, no. But they are accepted and effective methods of turf
management that produce excellent results. If you're concerned about
being frugal, don't care what your lawn looks like, and don't want to
take the time, that's a personal decision. But it doesn't mean it's
the answer for everyone.

As for squirrels or birds aerating a lawn, it isn't going to do much.
If a lawn has compacted soil or significant thatch, core aeration is
the way to go.

Not in terms of time or money. Don't do anything to the lawn but
cut it. If you try to help it grow faster, you will be cutting it more
often. -Dave