Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wet Wallboard - want to consolidate / stiffen

On Mar 25, 11:10�am, wrote:
I have an old house. *Person before me tiled over drywall (Not at
least greenboard!). *I had a leak in the pipe to showhead that got the
drywall wet. *Tile was put on with good layer of mastic so the mastic
itself is still okay. *However after a week of running a dehumidifier
the paper has peeled away in spots and drywall is still crumbly. * The
tile is still straight and not sagging and it's only a 2' x 3'
portion. *I don't want to retile. *So I am looking for a solution to
strenghten the drywall. *I am thinking some good sealer paint might
act as a glue, but could act as a water trap to make matters worse?
Anyone have any ideas?

carefully remove adjoing tiles and patch drywall.

once it gets wet it loses all strength you are just wasting your time
trying to fix it