Don Bruder

Default Advice to keep cars from sliding into my yard on bad curve.

In article ,
DejaVU wrote:

Brian Henderson scribed in
:

On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 16:40:21 -0800, Halvey
wrote:

Can we get a picture of this? Or an address? I'd love to see
why this curve is so...alluring?

Mine isn't the curve, that was whoever started this thread. I
just have a 2-way stop sign on a busy street and nobody looks
before just rolling through the stop.

the way to fix that is to have the city build a 'speed hump' on the
stop line
the ones we have here work well. it is a concrete plateau about 10
inches up from the tar, 45 degree entrance slop eeach end, the
plateau is about 4 or 5 feet wide.

if you hit it at 'roll through' speed you break some part of your
car.

****... at 10 inches tall and 4-5 feet wide, it'd break parts of my car
if I got out and pushed, let alone hit it at "roll through" speed. And
that's with my car being absolutely stock in every detail - no lowering,
no low-profile tires, no anything that's different in any way from what
came on it when it left the factory.

First thing to give would probably be the front clip, since a 10 inch
hump with a 45 degree approach would be about 5 inches higher than the
ground clearance of the air-dam, and the front tires would still be
close to a foot away from even starting to touch the "ramp". Things
would go smooth once the front tires actually climbed the hill, but as
soon as they started down the other side - scrape/crunch, and the car
would come to a stop with all four tires hanging in the air, and the
body resting solidly on the "hump".

That would be true for most vehicles I'm familiar with other than
trucks/sport-utilities with lots of ground clearance.

No, friend, I think you're either "inventing" the hump, or have no grasp
of what distance 10 inches actually is.

(Local trailer park I occasionally have to deliver to has speed bumps
that are between 6 and 8 inches high, depending on exactly which one you
choose to measure. I won't drive in that park anymore, since crossing
those oversized speed bumps *AT ANY SPEED* I've attempted, from "get out
and push" to "stomp the gas and hope for the best" grinds the entire
undercarriage.)

--
Don Bruder - - New Email policy in effect as of Feb. 21, 2004.
I respond to Email as quick as humanly possible. If you Email me and get no