Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cost of installing single handle washing machine valve?

On Mar 24, 11:11 pm, Phisherman wrote:
On Sun, 25 Mar 2007 01:38:39 GMT, "jay-n-123"
wrote:

Due to problems with one of the older crank-style washing machine valves,
I'm looking to have a single handle ball valve installed. Someone gave me a
price of $350 over the phone. Seems like a lot. Is that reasonable price?
If not, then what should this job cost? I live in Northern NJ.

Thanks,

J.

I have a one lever valve that turns both hot and cold water off to the
washing machine, mostly made of brass about $20 at HD. I had to get
an adapter to get it to fit right, about $3. Installed it myself with
just a couple tools in less than 5 minutes. I painted the lever to
show Red for OFF, green for ON--works very well. If you call a
plumber expect to pay at least $150+ just for the visit (gasoline is
not cheap anymore).

This is one of those jobs that could be simple or not, depending on
what you want it to look like. Jay apparently has existing hot and
cold valves, 9" apart, coming out of the wall with escucheons behind
them. The other wrinkle is one is 3/4 higher than the other.

If you can live with it looking half assed, then the existing valves
can be unsoldered, some quick plumbing added to bring the lines closer
and line them up with the new valve. That should cost a lot less
than the $350, but it leaves ugly and mis-aligned pipes exposed, which
may or may not matter to you.

If you want it done right, that would be to open the wall and put in a
valve box. For that $350 may be about right.