Posted to uk.d-i-y
Donwill Donwill is offline

Default Re Ariston under-sink water heater install

"Adrian" wrote in message
Hi Donwill

On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 15:25:13 -0000, "Donwill" popple @diddle .dot
wrote:

"Adrian" wrote in message
. ..
HI all

On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 08:37:50 +0000, Adrian
wrote:

HI All

The Studio saga continues......snipped

Polite suggestion---- These things can be DANGEROUS and can EXPLODE, If
you
don't know how to proceed, then DON'T, get someone in who is familiar with
the installation of electric under-sink heaters.

Thanks for the warning....

They are meant to be installed with an open vent tap which are very
expensive, the water expands when heated and drips out of the open vent
tap, the outlet is always open and the tap controls the inlet side of the
heater, I recently purchased a tap for my heater which cost me approx £90.

OK - understand that.
The bit I didn't understand was that the information supplied with the
heater seems to offer the option of either an open vent OR a
conventional 'tap on the hot water outlet' install.

In fact, the section of ths installation instructions that don't refer
to the 'open outlet' connection say
'The safety valve has a calibration value of about 8 bar.
A slight drip during the heating phase is quite normal,.....'

Which sounds to me as if, in this mode, there is a tap on the hot
outlet of the heater, and the increased pressure caused by the
heating of the water is vented through the safety valve....

All I was looking for was confirmation that this plan is correct ....

I've now emailed the manufacturer just to confirm that I've understood
their manual correctly...

Many thanks
Adrian

It makes no mention in the instructions of the one I recently installed (
Zip Tudor 2) of an alternative to the permanently open outlet installation.
In fact it expressly forbids using any other type of installation, I quote
"UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHOULD THE SPOUT OR OUTLET BE CONNECTED TO A TAP
WHICH IS CAPABLE OF BEING CLOSED"( their capital letters)
Maybe the Zip is not constructed to withstand mains pressure?

My experience is limited to the Zip only, so cannot help further.
Good luck &
Best regards
Mot