Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default Cost of installing single handle washing machine valve?

On Mar 24, 9:38 pm, "jay-n-123" wrote:
Due to problems with one of the older crank-style washing machine valves,
I'm looking to have a single handle ball valve installed. Someone gave me a
price of $350 over the phone. Seems like a lot. Is that reasonable price?
If not, then what should this job cost? I live in Northern NJ.

No. Assuming that there's access, it shouldn't take more than an hour
to swap out. The valve is around 20 or 30 bucks.

Prices over the phone fall into three categories. Throwing out a high
number to see if you'll bite, throwing out a low number to see if
you'll bite and they'll make it up on the extras they couldn't
anticipate over the phone, and the contractors who feel giving a price
sight unseen is pointless and potentially damaging.

Take a digital picture of the existing setup, print it out and bring
it by a local plumber's shop. Bring coffee. Tell them that you
didn't want to waste their time coming out to your house for an
estimate on such a small project when you could just as easily come to
them. You'll show you're real - as opposed to a guy just shopping the
work around on the phone, willing to expend a bit of effort, and
considerate of their time. You'll get about as good a price from that
particular guy as you're going to get.