Posted to rec.woodworking
miamicuse miamicuse is offline

Default Wood floor plank lengths

"RicodJour" wrote in message
ps.com...
MiamiCuse wrote:

I am sorry. I think the problem as nailshooter41 stated, is I did a poor
job of communicating in my first post. I have read the links and they
dont
specifically address my questions. I have done floor installations in
the
past, my question has to do with 36" pieces versus 72" pieces. Sorry to
have confused everyone.

This is a newsgroup. It's text-based. Even the clearest explanation
won't have the clarity of a series of pictures. You have trouble
visualizing things. Words won't help that.

I am not busting your chops (well, maybe a little), I'm trying to
teach you how to find out some of this stuff for yourself. You know
I've helped you with a _bunch_ of questions on various newsgroups, so
it's not like I haven't exerted a little effort on your behalf. All
of these questions have been asked and answered before and there are a
plethora of web sites with the information. If you get stuck, of
course, please _do_ ask your questions. But asking basic questions on
some of this simple stuff makes it look like you want other people to
do your research for you with little or not effort on your part.

The general technique for laying the field works like this:
Cut a board so that the short side is about 9" or so. Use one of the
cut pieces at either end of a row. It will only fit together one way,
and only that one way will allow both cut ends to be hidden under the
baseboard shoe. Fill in with longer planks as necessary. Cut the
longer cut-end piece to finish the row to the right length. On the
next row, cut the shorter end 6" longer; on the row after that another
6" longer. Repeat until you finish the room.

The length of the boards has little to do with it. Length only
affects the amount of waste, and that has to do with your estimating
and layout skills. From that Google search, a few links down, will
help with the layout:
http://www.hardwoodinstaller.com/har...wn-racking.htm
and a little further down (even prettier pictures and an _extremely_
detailed explanation) will help with everything:
http://www.hammerzone.com/archives/f...k1/stapled.htm

RicodJour, yes you have helped me a great deal and I appreciate all the help
you offered, and no offense taken here. I guess I don't use the usenet the
same way. I assure you I do research and read online materials as well as
various DIY sites, but I also come to the usenet groups and get expert
second opinion as well. I found this has helped a great deal in some cases
especially I get various angles to approach the same problem. Sometimes
even if I am sure what to do about a particular situation, if I have a week
or a few days to prepare for it, I will still post to the usenet and get
some feedback if only to make sure I cover every angle. I found done a
bunch of DIY projects and I have been so lucky that I will have the entire
plan of attack in mind with all scenerios planned out and then when I do it,
I run into situations I never considered. So a lot of times it's not that I
don't do research, it's about getting more input to enforce my approach or
possibly discover flawed thinking that I might have.

MC