Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default support existing foundation/single pour/or sections

wrote:

The reason I ask, is that I have been to two architects, two
engineers, 4 contractors.
Everyone speaks from their own level of knowledge. Each being very
informative and accurate.
But the whole picture is not spelled out unless one asks all the
questions.

Most architects would not know where to start with that sort of
underpinning. It sounds like you're still shopping around for a
design. No one is going to offer complete details until you cough up
some money. If you've already paid for the design, and it's not
spelled out how the work is to proceed, you've only gotten half of a
design. If you have hired the engineer and they have not provided a
preferred method of underpinning, and left it entirely up to the
contractor, I don't think very much of your engineer.

Just trying to find solutions to as many questions that come up for
me. All the drawings have been approved by an engineer. Supporting
beams/footings. The final question is one that I started with. How
to support the wall when I am digging out. How to support the wall
during the pour. The best way to do the job without spending a
fortune.

My car is misfiring - what's the correct timing?
You just asked a similar question. No one knows what your house is
like, different areas of the country mean different things when they
say "foundation", soil conditions, etc. You get the drift.

What sort of contractors have looked at your project in person? Local
foundation contractors will have their preferred way of doing things
and will be familiar with local practices, construction and soil
conditions. They'll also probably have an engineer on staff or a
business relationship with an engineer. They'd be able to provide one-
stop shopping for your job. No one on a a newsgroup can compete with
that sort of head start.

Smaller contractors will probably opt for the sectional method of
underpinning as it requires less equipment. Larger contractors and
house movers won't blink twice at jacking your entire house up. BTW,
unless you have faulty foundations jacking the house up instead of
digging down, might be a better way to go. Zoning, cost and
aesthetics would be the main concerns.

Again, only a local contractor would be able to make the definitive
determination and tell you what things would cost.