Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Emergency Water Alarms For Basement ?

On Mar 24, 12:36 pm, "Robert11" wrote:
Hello:

Regarding those emergency water alarms one see at HD and elsewhe

Seems like a good idea if the washing machine hose breaks in the basement,
or the water heater starts leaking, I would think.

Do they work (well) ?

Any particular brand you folks would recommend ?

Any caveats in their usage, etc. ?

Thanks,
Bob

I have one of the $10 battery operated units that I bought in HD in
the water heater section. It just sits on the floor, with two
contacts. If it gets wet, it goes off. One problem with all of these
is which way the water goes. For example, if you have a small leak
from say a water heater, the water could flow in a small stream in the
opposite direction. I saw that with mine, when the TPR starting
leaking a bit. When I found it, there was quite a pool of water, but
it had gone right by the detector. Fortunately, I found it before it
got to all the junk on the basement floor.