Posted to sci.electronics.repair
©[email protected] ©rkba@ca.rkba.cid is offline

Default VCR HEAD Glued??

On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 07:43:22 -0000, "N Cook" wrote:

wrote in message
. ..

| Are the little protruding "tape readers" on the edges of the DAT/VCR
| HEAD Glued on or Soldered on Etc.?????
|
| Since I think manual cleaning of DAT/VCR Heads are the cleanest and
| most efficient, they would alter the chemistry of the Glued on little
| *protruding "tape readers"*......which would explain a few things...
| --
| Triad Productions-Fantalla©~EZine~ParaNovel
| National Astrophysical Assault Research
| http://lacasse.naar.be http://ammo.at/lacasse
|
|The makers would probably prefer the term "bonded" to glued.
|They,VCR ones anyway, are positioned in a X,Y,Z sense to an accuracy of
|better than 1 micron IIRC.

So I will refrain from using the Acetone except in lost cause
situations when all the repeated use of all the other solutions produce no
results....

I have rescued a few DAT/DDS/VCR heads that way, but it's delicate
work but used in Floppies takes a paper/no plastic disk cleaner ....works a
lot if you find a paper floppy cleaner....adds an extra couple of years of
use....like the DAT/DDS/VCR heads....but accidents do happen.......

I figured they'd be bonded like the 120 layers of a Travan Tape
Streamer head.....I use a lot of tape and drives....14 of them...no use in
changing the procedure for backups...since it's what I have, unless I wanna
backup or off-drive and try to put a laser disk in a Tape drive.....

Some people do backups on the parallel port of to a VCR using
Backer32 or similar...I think a full tape only holds 5 MB since it is analog
and only writes to the top video layer.

Thanx for the nfo...