Posted to rec.audio.pro,sci.electronics.repair
Jack Jack is offline

Default is it worth it to replace caps in old equalizer??

wrote:
On 24 Mar, 09:39, (Derwin) wrote:

Hello, I have an old 70s-era 5-band equalizer made by Realistic (radio shack),
which I like to use in my guitar effects chain, and I opened it up the other
day just to see what it looked like inside, and I noticed that there are two
large electrolytic capacitors. They look fine, and the unit sounds OK, but
given that it is probably at least 30 years old now, and may have sat around
for many years not being used before I got my hands on it, could I expect
improved performance if I were to replace those two big electrolytics with new
ones?

Thanks for any advice!

No. If youre considering doing jobs that dont need doing it may be
time to reevaluate ones life.

NT

Don't replace them till they need it. The old high voltage ones can
last a long time, but if you've got a few spare minutes, some spare
dollars, do it by all means.
Dont worry about re evaluating your life. Life is full of cynics. You
do right, its wrong you do wrong its still right etc . Its how you
feel its your life......
PS Fixing things that dont need fixing is not good, only if youre
there. Priority says fix things that you need that need fixing, or as
a preventative.
Most likely you'll drop the equipment of a truck first...or similar.
Lifes like that....