Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Dan Bollinger Dan Bollinger is offline

Default Isn't It Ironic?

A while back I turned a lidded box with what I thought was a flat spot
on the otherwise rounded bottom, a small bead separating the round from

I recently stumbled on the ball and socket / swivel joint. Now I'm
experimenting with articulated joints (previous post Where Do Ideas Come

I think it was an Arch Musing that suggested integrating methods,
materials and techniques from other disciplines with wood turning.

Does adding actual, as opposed to implied, movement to some pieces seem
a good idea - or just a gimmick?

Recall that the first clocks were wooden, and many mechanisms were almost all
wood; grist mills, boats, and coaches.

If you like wobble shapes study up on boat design's 'metacenter', which is what
makes primary stability work and is the reason rocking chairs don't instantly
flip over (secondary stability comes from flotation).

Finally, for intentional, and very wobbly shapes, turn a Super Egg. This is the
3D version of the 2D super ellipse by Danish mathematician Piet Hein.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piet_Hein_(Denmark)

Dan