Posted to rec.woodworking
Lowell Holmes Lowell Holmes is offline

Default How do I cut a 4x4 post?

"Charlie Self" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Mar 17, 10:13?am, wrote:
On Fri, 16 Mar 2007 16:25:19 -0400, "Locutus"

wrote:

snip

follow the marks. With the big Stanley, it's as easy as it gets. With
an SCMS it is even easier, but you're looking at about $600 for the
saw, and the blade that comes with it has a 50-50 chance of being
aimed at the construction market, so you can earmark anywhere from $90
to $150 for a new blade. In truth, I think I'd pop for a decent
handsaw at maybe $45.

Or a $14 Disston handsaw from Ebay, sharpened by Circle Saw (less than $10,
I think $4), and then stone the side of the teeth to even the set, and
you'll have a saw that is sharp and will stay in it's kerf. Sometimes a
commercial sharpening will leave filings on the edges that need to be stoned
off. It takes 2 or 3 minutes to do that.
I have a 1950's Craftsman saw, 10 tpi, that is sharpened as a rip saw, that
cuts cross cut or rip, just like Tage Frid said to do. It's the saw I pick
up more than others.