Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction
Dennis Dennis is offline

Default Another Fence Question

My neighbor originally build a cedar fence. Ended up replacing it about
seven years later as it started falling over. When to vinyl. The original
fence was not cemented in, the vinyl is and has moved very little. Vinyl
looks good around a pool, and he extended his into the ground using 4x4 ties
to keep his dog from getting out.

My fence is only a chain link, bit all the posts are cemented in. Been hit
by a back hoe and a tree-trimming truck. The problem areas are the gates,
they will all sag eventually (posts bend, but the concrete is still holding
tight.)

Don't be too fast to reject the company that wants to embed the posts 10 ft.
into the ground. A solid fence takes a lot of load from wind, and the better
the anchorage, the better it will survive. (It all comes down to cost of
course.) Consider this, if you do a cheap job, you can count on replacing it
in a decade like my neighbor did.

One disadvantage that vinyl has over wood is that it will stain from iron in
the water when lawn-sprinklering. Of-course that can be washed off with Bar
Keepers Friend, but on thing more to consider (esp. if you go with white
like my neighbor.)

What I would do is walk around the neighborhood and talk to folks who have
had a fence up for many years. Ask if the posts were cemented in, and how
deep they were set. Could be an excellent source of common sense for your
particular area.

Dennis

"DominicSantini" wrote in message
. ..

Planning on putting up a fence (for privacy barrier
purposes - along with some new trees, etc).

Spoke to some local fence companies. They appear to
have different methods of installing the posts.

One outfit made a big deal they install their posts
approx 10' into the ground.

Another outfit, only goes a few feet (6 ? I forget).

Both claimed that cement was not needed around the
posts.

What is "best practice" for fence post installation?
Even researching it on the web revealed conflicting
methods (irrespective of local soil conditions). I'm
interested in doing it right the first time.

Haven't decided if vinyl fencing or cedar fencing is
the way to proceed either.

Also, if I ordered the fence parts off, say an internet
business, would a local contractor supply the labor ?
(I presume, they'd have no incentive to do this, but
i'm curious if anyone has done it). And no, i don't have
the time (or probably skill/patience) to do a DIY fence
installation.

Any thoughts / opinions from those with experience on
a fence project ?