Posted to rec.woodworking
SWDeveloper SWDeveloper is offline

Default Kreg Pocket Jig question - face frames and cabinet doors

On 23 Mar 2007 13:00:52 -0700, wrote:

Thanks for all the great ideas. I've purchased the Kreg K-3 set and
played around with it. It is certainly easy to use.

Here's where I'm at with the project planning for the kitchen
refacing. I'd appreciate you ideas again...

I've decided to definitely remove the old face frames and make new
ones (thanks to the pocket drill, it should really be easy). I'm also
going to make the doors (red oak with Minwax 'Golden Oak' stain and
satin polyuethane). Here's my questions:

I'll probably kick myself later, but I've decided to make the doors
with 1/4" oak plywood center panels instead of raised panels.
Honestly, I've thought about raised panels but I don't have a shaper,
my router is old, and I don't like the thought of cutting the raised
panel on my table saw. Anyway, is there an idea on how to 'jazz up'
the inside edges of the door rails and stiles? I can't put any
edgework on the inside edges before assembly because the glues parts
won't fit right with the pocket drill. I'm thinking of a small
molding or something but I'm not sure.

I've always wiped on the stain and brushed on the polyurethane.
Should I consider spraying on the stain and polyurethane?

When I'm using the pocket jig for the door frames, do you think I'd be
able to get by with glue and only one screw at each joint?

Thanks!

Personally, I prefer a plain clean look but inlays of contrasting wood
will give a nice detail while keeping a flat smooth surface that easy
to keep clean.