Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy Robatoy is offline

Default Kitchen Island question?? Cabinet experts please come in!!

On Mar 22, 11:49 pm, "bdeditch" wrote:
My daughter wants me to build her a Kitchen Island that will be approx
11' by 8' ( L shaped). It will hold a stove top and will have a back
splash behind it. On top of the back splash she wants to have a
granite Counter top. My concern is what is going to hold up the 1 foot
over hang that she wants to have. I am sure that I can make the back
splash approx 6" wide but what should I use to hold up the over hang?

After 20+ years of manufacturing and installing countertops in all
kinds of acrobatic applications, the only failures I have encountered
have been human failure. Like the kid doing his girlfriend on the bar
section when mom & dad are away. 10 feet of 18" wide granite will
crush just about anything on the way down from bar height. The static
load isn't what concerns me most. It's that guy who tosses 3 cased of
beer on the very corner of a bartop who makes me over-engineer
structural integrity. That includes the people who will buy that house
some day.

I strongly recommend large angular brackets at strategic intervals.
They can be physically smaller when you use tubular steel.
They do not have to reach all the way to the edge of the bar, the
distance of setback depends on whether you plan on using 3/4" or
1-1/4" granite.
Engineered stone is much more reliable in this application, btw.
Along with other many good points, Swingman hit it right on the nose
when he discussed cantilevering. The brackets move the tipping point
(fulcrum) forward.

Countersinking 1/2" steel brackets into 1-1/4" engineered stone is by
far the slickest look.
E-mail me a sketch and I'll post some ideas back to you.

www.topworks.ca