Posted to alt.home.repair
3G 3G is offline

Default How Long to Tape / Mud / Sand Drywall ?

"RicodJour" wrote in message
ps.com...
| On Mar 21, 5:48 am, "3G" wrote:
| " wrote in message
|
| |I finished about 1400 sq. ft. of my basement with about 46 4x8
sheets
| | of drywall. All the sheets are standing up so the tapered ends
are
| | butted together. Each seam is about 7 feet long. There are 9
inside
| | 90-degree corners, 5 outside 90-degree corners and two
approximately
| | 120-degree inside corners.
|
| drywall (not moisture resistant) in the basement?
| green board (moisture resistant) is better.
|
| Mold will grow just fine on either one, so I don't think you're
| referring to that.

nope
the moisture will peel the paint off regular drywall
you never use regular drywall in a basement......not here anyway.

If the basement has such significant moisture
| problems that greenboard might be indicated,

now you see the light at the end of the tunnel.

it would be far
| preferable to deal with the moisture problem before finishing the
| basement.

concrete emitts moisture for years and years

| blueboard with plaster would have been the best choice and could
have
| been completed in a few hours.
|
| 1400 SF of skimcoat plaster in a few hours? Not even close unless you
| have a small army on hand.

are you kiddin me
1400 sf
we would be home by 3pm

3 hours to hang and 5 hours to plaster
and only 3 guys
damn we must be good.

If it were that fast, no one would use,
| drywall, tape and spackle.

only the cheap *******s do use drywall/tape/compound
and home owners who don't know any better.

| 1400 SF of skimcoat plaster would be much slower than 3 or 4 hundred
| linear feet of tapered edge taping and spackling, and a bit of bead
| work. If the OP's contractor isn't resistant to using setting type
| compound they could skip all of the drying time.

whats the R for................retard