Posted to rec.woodworking
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default Kitchen Island question?? Cabinet experts please come in!!

bdeditch wrote:
My daughter wants me to build her a Kitchen Island that will be approx
11' by 8' ( L shaped). It will hold a stove top and will have a back
splash behind it. On top of the back splash she wants to have a
granite Counter top. My concern is what is going to hold up the 1 foot
over hang that she wants to have. I am sure that I can make the back
splash approx 6" wide but what should I use to hold up the over hang?

Steel should be holding up the overhang. Various stone people will
tell you that the maximum overhang is anywhere from 6" to 12". It's
granite, it's expensive and not a DIY repair, you might have somebody
who doesn't know any better put their full body weight on it - be
conservative.

Here's a reasonable workup on the matter, with one caveat. One poster
mentioned cutting into the granite to install steel rod. You don't
want steel rod, and it's nuts to weaken the granite to make it
stronger. Further down the page is a picture of some plate steel
strips let into the plywood sub-counter - a _far_ preferable
installation.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load...2910274.html?8