Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] bridgerfafc@yahoo.com is offline

Default Kitchen Island question?? Cabinet experts please come in!!

On Mar 22, 8:49 pm, "bdeditch" wrote:
My daughter wants me to build her a Kitchen Island that will be approx
11' by 8' ( L shaped). It will hold a stove top and will have a back
splash behind it. On top of the back splash she wants to have a
granite Counter top. My concern is what is going to hold up the 1 foot
over hang that she wants to have. I am sure that I can make the back
splash approx 6" wide but what should I use to hold up the over hang?

if she wants it to look like it's floating with no support, I'd have
brackets welded up from square steel tube and sandwich the tubes
between layers of backsplash and granite top.

if she's ok with visible brackets, go ahead and buy, make or steal
something that works with the rest of the design of the piece and her
kitchen.