Posted to alt.home.repair
Grandpa Grandpa is offline

Default What's the best way to replace a tub faucet?

Joe wrote:
I've had a slow drip for a while from my ancient American Standard
faucet in my bathtub. It has recently turned from a drip into a stream
and since the water is no longer cold but luke warm I suspect the hot
water side has started leaking as well. I'd love to replace it myself
but from investigating online it looks just too complicated. Right now
it has two handles and I'd like to turn it into a single handle. My
question is this: what is the best way to go about installing this,
call a plumber? Or go to a home center, pick out the style we want and
have them install it? As I said, I'd love to repair it myself but I
don't think watching 10 episodes of Ed the Plumber is going to qualify
me to taking on this task.

Hate to burst your bubble, but its probably going to be more than a
plumbing job. How's the access to the back of the tub? Sometimes,
there is an access panel on the wall in the room opposite of the
tub. If you have access, your job got a slight bit easier. Your
major problem is going to be that the existing fixtures are probably
soldered in place. How do you feel about wielding a Mapp torch in
that enclosed area? OK, I think you probably ought to bring in the
professionals about now.
Maybe you don't have access from the back. Now your job just
included wall work as well. Especially if you're set on converting
to a single handle (got to cover up those faucet openings somehow).
If you have a shower head included in that setup, then you've really
opened up a wall of worms. Can't fault you for wishing though.
All is not lost though, have you considered replacing the valve
washers or valve stems? That is at least one thing that you can do
without a plumber coming in. Take off the valve handle, and unscrew
the valve stem nut, then the valve stem. Oh didn't I tell you turn
off the water first? My bad, but its a tub isn't it? Anyway, stick
your little finger (unless you're ham handed) into the valve and
feel the seat for roughness. If it feels rough, then you will need a
seat resurfacing tool. Now take the stem(s) to your local hardware
store of choice and look for the replacements.
All covered he
http://www.ehow.com/how_117402_fix-faucet.html
If you're set on converting to a single lever, then you can either
pick out the set you want, describe it, take a picture, or find it
online and show it to the plumber. Ask him if he'll install it for
you or if he has a better idea in mind. Sometimes, they can get you
a better item if you let them pick it for you and they have an idea
of what you want.
Hey, good luck chum!
--
Grandpa