Robin Michetti Robin Michetti is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric S. Smith: Left-Field Marshal
On Mar 22, 11:02 am, Chris Hill wrote:
On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 02:42:42 +0000, Robin Michetti
wrote:

[snip]

What I had hoped to use is
laminated flooring but it is made with formaldehyde glues just like
melamine and this has been proven to be unsafe.

[snip]

So, why are you worried? If it is smell- our install didn't smell a
bit. If it is paranoya, I can't help you.

It would appear that the original poster is concerned about the health
effects of out-gassing formaldehyde-based adhesives, rather than the
smell as such. If that strikes you as paranoid, then I think you're
right that you can't help.

--Eric Smith
(The original poster may be better off asking a group that deals with
chemical sensitivities.)
I think that all of us who are interested in renovating our homes should consider using materials that are the absolute safest possible. If we live in a northern climate we spent a lot of time indoors likely in an airtight house. This is not a matter of allergies or sensitivities. Formaldehyde which is in pressed wood, MDF, melamine and laminated floors is a carcinogen plain and simple. Childhood cancer is on the increase...why?.. because children are exposed to more and more environmental toxins..formaldehyde being one of the most toxic. We put our babies down on carpeting and flooring that offgasses without realizing the serious impact it can have on their health. So I think that information about the kinds of safe materials we want to build our houses with is very important and should be included in DYI sites such as yours.