Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default Sump drainage - is this a problem? How to fix?

In article . com, "cavedweller" wrote:
On Mar 22, 4:18 pm, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article .com,

"cavedweller" wrote:

On Mar 22, 10:40 am, "Harry K" wrote:
On Mar 22, 6:33 am, "cavedweller" wrote:
On Mar 22, 7:29 am, (Doug Miller) wrote:

In article . com,
"cavedweller" wrote:

Yes, I can see that you quoted it. I can also see that you didn't read, or
didn't understand, what you quoted.

OK, so what do you know that I don't? My assumptions (bad idea, I
know) are that this is a conventional concrete or plastic sump with
inlet(s) around its perimeter near the top and that the pump is either
a pedestal type with an adjustable float or perhaps a submersible
(without much adjustment on the float).

Yep, my assumptions too, although the type of pump and float are not really
relevant to the problem.

Water is pumped from the bottom of the sump and is discharged
somewhere. Per the OP, the depth of water in the sump (he called it a
well) never rises to the level of the inlets before the pump turns
on.

You're failing to understand the significance of this fact.

With any significant amount of inflow, that would tell me that
the pump cycles a lot.

I'm quite confident that the OP's pump cycles a lot, even *without* any
significant inflow -- because he's pumping the same water over and over and
over.

It should tell you something else, too.

And that would be? Seriously, unless you know the original poster and
have particular insights into his problem that he hasn't explained, I
don't know what you mean.

What I mean is this: since the water level in the sump never rises to the
level of the drainage tiles, it is _completely_impossible_ that there is any
significant amount of water stored in the tiles.

And *that* means that when he sees a sudden inrush of water into the sump pit
just after his pump shuts off, the water that's coming in is the same water
that it just pumped out.

His discharge pipe is probably broken, or a fitting came apart, just outside
the foundation.

--
Regards,