Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] david@drumheller.org is offline

Default What is the expected lifetime for an electrolytic capacitor?

On Mar 22, 5:38 pm, mike wrote:

I recently came to a sad realization...I'm gonna have
to quit buying (newer) old equipment with the expectation of fixing it.

A good point, and one I've become mindful of as I've crawled around
the insides of the Fluke signal generator. It's full of rare
integrated circuits, and I imagine some were designed for production
of that specific instrument. Replacing caps is no big deal, but if any
of those chips go south, I'm probably screwed. I suppose I could
attempt to order replacements from those idiotic sites--the ones you
find using Globalspec.com or any of those other annoying search
engines--but I've read that they only deal with industrial buyers that
purchase in large quantities.

-Dave