Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] SS.WALL@SASKTEL.NET is offline

Default Would appreciate any tips on installing linoleum on stairs.

On Mar 21, 3:46 pm, "Lawrence" wrote:
On Mar 21, 4:56 pm, wrote:

We are preparing to install linoleum on our stairs and in our
entranceway. Any tips or hints you have would be greatly appreciated.
It is quite a small area, so we are trying to save the money of having
someone come in to do it. Thanks! -Ringo

It is a very good idea to use the 1/4" luan plywood screwed directly
to the stair treads that will recieve the flooring. Countersink
slightly. That way you have a nice smooth surface from edge to edge
to glue your flooring to. It also make your job more easily
reversible in the future. No flooring last forever and you will thank
yourself and maybe me if you put plwood down first. You always cut
the pw slightly undersized.

Then use flooring compound. You mix with special flooring compound
liquid, not water, and smear it into any gaps using a drywall or putty
knife. Work neatly and no sanding will be necessary. You want the
surface to be clean and smooth from edge to edge before gluing.

Use a notched trowel to apply flooring glue to the luan. The size of
trowel to be used will be reccomended by the glue manufacturer. Cut
the flooring carefully with a sharp knife and straigtedge before
applying.

Usually some type of trim is put over the edges, eliminating the need
for a perfect cut. Use a can of beans or a wooden dowel and roll it
back and forth to smooth it down and even out the glue. There is lots
more to know but hopefully that is enough for you to get it done.

Thanks so much for your help. These are some great tips! -Ringo