Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] ahaight@gmail.com is offline

Default Electric Range Volt Problems

Thanks for all of the suggestions, folks. Now I just need to figure
out how not to get crushed by an electrician bill. Hopefully your
suggestions will allow me to get them in and out in no time. Or at
least sound like I know enough where they don't try to mess with me.

On Mar 22, 1:35 am, "Justin West" wrote:
On Mar 21, 4:26 pm, wrote:

He was not an electrician. He was an appliance repair man who is not
certified to do professional electrical work.

The circuit was not clearly tripped. It was still in the on position.
I flipped it off and then on to see if it would work and had no luck.

If I take a A/C Volt meter and measure from one hot leg to another hot
leg on a 200V system I should see 200V. If I only see 110V then I
know something has happened.

I can only forsee 2 possible problems:

1) There is a loose wire in the box you plug the range into
2) One of the 2 breakers is defective

If you can access the breakers:

Check the load side of each breaker with an A/C Volt meter. If you
read 200V at this point it is probably the plug end.
If your reading 110V then you have a breaker issue. Replace breaker,
or have a professional do so.

If your reading 200V at your plug, call the service person back and
beat with a rubber mallet. (won't necessarily get the problem
rectified, but you may feel better :P).