Posted to alt.home.repair
Chris Hill Chris Hill is offline

Default Off Gassing Laminated Flooring

On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 02:42:42 +0000, Robin Michetti
wrote:

I am 3 weeks away from the start of a huge addition to my house. The
main floor will be hardwood and tiles. That is settled. The choices I
had for the basement rooms are carpet...too much formaldehyde offgassing
unless I choose wool carpeting which is too expensive. Or another
choice is something rough like coir...not very comfy underfoot...or
cork which although excellent for the environment is rather ugly...OR
engineered flooring which costs a fortune. What I had hoped to use is
laminated flooring but it is made with formaldehyde glues just like
melamine and this has been proven to be unsafe. I want to follow the
Ei, European standards but don't know if I can find a laminated floor
that is made with some other glue (latex?) rather than
formol/formaldehyde.

So, why are you worried? If it is smell- our install didn't smell a
bit. If it is paranoya, I can't help you.