Posted to alt.home.repair
cavedweller cavedweller is offline

Default Sump drainage - is this a problem? How to fix?

On Mar 22, 7:29 am, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article . com, "cavedweller" wrote:

On Mar 21, 2:32 pm, wrote:
OK, I think something is wrong with the way my sump drains and I'm
looking for confirmation and ideas on how to fix it.

So my pump is mounted at the bottom of the well, with the float
triggering before the waterline gets up to the pipes from which the
drain tiles drain into the well. (all seems correct there so far).
My problem is that, as soon as the pump triggers and drains the well,
I see maybe 50% of that amount of water drain immediately back thru
the tiles (NOT back down the ejection pipe). This is not normal, is
it?

Well, it can be.

The drain tiles around the house hold a fair amount of water, while
the sump itself holds very little. When you pump the sump dry, there
might still be a lot of water in the tiles that finds its way
immediately into the sump.

That's not what's going on. Back up and re-read the original post: he said the
pump kicks on before the water ever rises up that high -- therefore, what's
coming back into the sump is the water he just pumped out.

I quoted it.

It tells me that the floats are set so that the pump comes on before
the sump is full.

I presume his "back thru" means into the sump.

He asserts also that it's NOT coming back down the discharge pipe but
if he's so sure about the 50% number, I wonder. Could it be there's
no check valve in the discharge?