Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Antique Fountains? How?

On 21 Mar 2007 23:06:04 -0700, "mrclose" wrote:

Is there anyone that can answer as to How Victorian era, private/home
owned water fountains worked?
I am exhausted from the number of searches that I have done .. all to
no avail!

Sure, I have learned about the Roman aqueducts and the flow of water
from hillsides 'but', assuming that not Every Victorian home lived
hillside and 'We Know' that the electric pump wasn't in use at that
time .. How did these fountains work?

Again, no real knowledge, except to say that there was electicity
during some of the Victorian era (1837 to 1901, I guess). Once the
lightbulb was popular (starting 1879) other things got invented very
quickly. Maybe couldn't get a motor and pump as small as today, but
if one is really rich, what does it matter to him? Conservation was
not an issue.

But I don't know enough to say they used electric pumps for your
fountain.

Maybe they were Force Flowed in someway but, that would not explain
How the return was made!