Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default A River Runs Through It

On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 01:49:48 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

I had a second pump put in a corner that wasn't draining properly. The guy
cut out a square with a circular saw, dug a pit, and worked a plastic basin
in. A lot of work, but nothing too difficult. The dust was HORRIBLE.

I forgot about dust. Wear a good dust maak and probably keep the
vacuum running all the time, to clean the air. If there were a
window, I'd recommend a fan blowing out a window. (I did this when I
sanded my floor, with an old 14 inch fan from the trash. It ran all
day with no problem, and then failed just as I was about to turn it
off.)

I had him plumb it to the sanitary sewer, which I later found out is
illegal; but it only came on when the first pump was overwhelmed, so it

i"m not in a position to judge, and the OP's basement might never get
that wet, buy this sounds like an advantage over a regular pump and a
backup, as opposed to the single pump I just recommended. My pump has
only been overwhelmed once in 28 years, but it would sure have been
nice to have two pumps at that time. (Or a bigger first pump. I
suppose they sold one but I only looked for the same size I had since
it had worked fine for the first 15 years. Rusted through then but
the new ones have plastic pipe at the water level and I think will
last 2 or 3 times as long.)

didn't amount to much.