Posted to alt.home.repair
Eigenvector Eigenvector is offline

Default stain for plywood cabinets

Well I wouldn't get too bent out of shape about it. I've already refinished
my test piece in Poly and now it's drying for a few days.

I'm not planning on eating from these things. I'm sure there are better
finishes out there, but my crappy john isn't worth that much effort - maybe
after I inherit all that black walnut and basswood my step father has stored
in his shop.

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

"3G" wrote in message
| Of course it is safe. Any finish sold in the US is considered food
safe once
| cured.

but poly is not KMCA certified for food preperation areas.

So what? This is a residential kitchen and the same rules do not apply.
There are many things used every day at home that are not allowed in a
commercial kitchen. Start with wood handles on knives. Billions of them
in use every day. I don't use my cabinet doors for preparing my food.
What cookbook do you follow that does?

what about the glasses that are upside down in the cabinet, on the poly
covered shelf?

What about them? Do you have evidence of cured poly putting chemicals
onto the rim of glasses? Have people died from this? If you are
worried, put down shelf paper.

poly leaves water stains easily
hand rubbed urethane gel is water and alcohol resistant.
10 times better than poly.

I have no water stains on my cabinets. YMMV., but we dry the dishes
before putting them away. WTF is different about your hand rubbed poly
anyway? Most all polyurethanes have similar chemical bases so perhaps you
can tel us more about this material you use. Brands? Types?

and you recommend linseed oil?

No, I did not. Problems with reading comprehension?

the best finish by far
is a hand rubbed urethane gel

after testing different finishes (laquer, poly, water based poly,
urethane gel) for 1 year.
the urethane gel is the only one that lasted through all the seasons in
N.E.
the test pcs. were outside all year through sun, rain, snow,etc.

and just for the record
the poly sample pc. finished last.
the water and UV damage was awful.

I keep my kitchen cabinets inside, not out. They have had polyurethane on
them for 29 years now, re-coated about 5 or 6 years ago. Still look
pretty good. Is there something better? Perhaps, but 30 years + is good
enough for me. Maybe in another few I'll replace the cabinets. So far,
they have not been rained on so your testing methods don't mean much to
me. If it snowed in my kitchen, my wife would bitch about it.