Posted to alt.home.repair
jackson jackson is offline

Default A River Runs Through It

"Donna" attempted to ask what they thought
was a serious question by saying:

... my basement, I mean.

We badly need a sump pump. Maybe two, but definitely one where the water
pools every spring.

warily eyeing the melting snow

How hard is it to install a sump pump? Is that a job for a pro, or can I
do it with power tools? We have a fieldstone basement, with a cement
floor. There is no well yet, just a low spot that collects water.

Any and all advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Donna

From my experience in most cases a sump & pump is just a way to throw money
at a problem on the cheap and still not fix the issue. If you've really got
basement water problems spend the bucks on something like the B-Dry system
and be done with it. Just be sure to check out the contractor in your area
before hiring though, there are a lot of 'not so satisfying' operators in
the basement waterproofing business. Not to mention a lot of people selling
systems that will fail or not work at all. Do some serious research, call a
lot of vendors for assessments/quotes, check out the vendors you are
considering with BBB and whoever else you can find in your area.