Posted to rec.woodworking
Pounds on Wood Pounds on Wood is offline

Default How to drill dog holes

"RayV" wrote in message
ups.com...
Glued on the last piece of my workbench top last night so as soon as I
mount the vises I will be ready to drill the 3/4 dog holes. Question
is how do I do this?

The top is 60x30 made from a 1" butcher block Oak table and two layers
of 3/4 plywood. I didn't weigh it but it is heavy, so heavy I had to
trim the ends with a circular saw because it would have tipped the TS
(good thing I checked it out before I turned on the TS).

The tail vise will be similar to this but it will fit tight on the
corner so that I can clamp either along the front or the end.
http://www.lie-nielsen.com/catalog.php?grp=1297
The part of the tail vise on the end of the bench will be about 12" so
I plan on having a row of holes 1" in from the front and a row ~10" in
running the length of the bench.

My front vise will be about 15" wide and I will put two rows of holes
running front to back in line with that vise.

I doubt I can get the top safely up on the drill press to make these
holes without building a giant contraption so I am going to have to do
it with a hand-held drill.

Will a block of wood with a 3/4 hole be enough of a jig?

Will a 3/4 saw-tooth Forstner bit be able to drill these holes?
(I don't have a 3/4 twist or brad point)

What about a hole-saw?

What should the spacing be?
(I should get at least 10" of travel on the tail vise)

If you can't take your benchtop to the drillpress, take your drillpress to
the benchtop. That's what I did. Just rotate the head on the column to the
side of the base and table. Clamp the base in position on the benchtop and
drill away. I used a spade bit because it takes less linear force. Now, I
used a benchtop sized drillpress but I don't see that it matters. But there
may well be some drillpresses that won't slide down the column.

--
********
Bill Pounds