Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Mills Roger Mills is offline

Default Posts in the ground

The Medway Handyman wrote:

It occurs to me that any wooden post concreted into a hole in the
ground is going to rot eventually, tanalised or whatever - it's got
to be a matter of time.

The worst area is going to be the end grain by my reckoning, since
end grain is the most absorbent and is going to absorb moisture
faster than any other part of the post.

Soaking the end in wood preserver is one option, but are there others?

Cut the end off? g [1]

Seriously, it's much less of a problem with pressure treated timer than it
used to be with untreated timber. I've got some tanalised posts which were
concreted in about 25 years ago, and are still going strong. One or two got
dug up last year to make way for a new garage, and the timber inside the
concrete looked perfectly ok.

[1] Using the same logic as the Irishman who moved house by 10 miles because
he read that most accidents occur within 5 miles of home!
--
Cheers,
Roger