Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] fwithers07@gmail.com is offline

Default Sump drainage - is this a problem? How to fix?

On Mar 21, 3:44 pm, "EXT" wrote:
That is a serious problem, a disaster waiting to happen.

I would dig around the deck, if you can, to see if the pipe travels anywhere
away from the deck.

Question - what would this show me? If the water is immediately
draining back thru the drain tiles, wouldn't that mean the problem is
occuring near the foundation, which is under the deck? Just trying to
understand your diagnosis of the issue.

Or, if you don't want to spend the time, or cannot access the area, install
a replacement pipe where you can open a space through the wall and across
the ground to a suitable location to discharge the water. This should bypass
the old pipe since you cannot access it. Keep the slope steady, rigid pipe
such as ABS or PVC, whatever is available for drains in your area is easier
to install sloping than flexible piping.

Unfortunately it won't be that easy, because the area where the sump
is housed is completely surrounded by deck (it curves around the
house). I'm thinking that I will have to pry up boards, possibly
destroying them, to get to that area. That's probably the plan
anyway, but it would be nice to have a better idea of what might be
going on down there before I cause all of this destruction to get to
it.

In general, can you explain to me what you are thinking is going on?
Saying that it is a disaster waiting to happen, but with no
explaination is causing me a lot of anxiety but not really much to
help me understand it. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the help, but
I just need a bit more info.

By the way, it certainly worries me (a lot of sleepless nights), but I
also know its been doing this for quite a while, and during some
pretty serious storms. For all I know, the issue could have been
going on for the entire 28 years since the home was built. As far as
I know - there is no sign of flooding.

Thanks,
Jeff